Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Post 2 - Hurry up and Wait


Much of the last few days has been spent learning about the boat I have purchased, and learning in general about the restoration process of old fiberglass boats.Today I ordered a book entitled "This Old Boat", which is revered as a bible of sorts for people wishing to restore these type of boats.
Previous to my purchase of this boat, my study focused primarily on stitch-and-glue, and building wooden boats from the ground up. My original intention was to build a boat from scratch.
I have started sanding the interior. I figured that the interior of the boat would be a bit more forgiving; I will read-up some more before I tackle the exterior. I have also decided to move the boat into the garage. I cut some wooden skids out of 4x6 lumber and slid them under the keels. Tomorrow I will try and pull the boat off the trailer on these skids and move it into the garage. I didn't like the way the keels
were sitting on those narrow pieces of steel on the trailer. Also, It will be nice to have the boat in a more controlled environment, where I can even work at night, if I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment